Thursday 3 May 2012

The Red Church by Scott Nicholson (Book Recommendation)





I usually hate books that feature cops of any kind. Usually. And I'm particularly turned off by those that have their own series. Again, that's my normal stance, and it's just a matter of taste. There are just too many of them. Frank Littlefield in Scott Nicholson's The Red Church has me turned around on the topic.
Archer McFall, the descendant of Wendell McFall, returns to the Appalachian church where his great grandfather was hung. He also believes himself to be the second son of God, born of a virgin, and longs to defame Jesus Christ himself. And he has followers. Nicholson tackles the topic of religion in an astonishingly unique way that will appeal most to readers with open minds concerning . . . well, everything. If you're easily offended by the notion of someone else calling himself the son of God, even in a fictional scenario, then the book won't be for you. The book asks questions without making the reader think too hard. Most importantly, it is different from the same-old, same-old.
The book is chock full of ghosts, monsters and personal demons. The writing is elegant, moves along swiftly, and is probably best read while unwinding in bed, except you probably won't be sleeping for the amount of interest in this book. I stayed up late twice to finish the book. I downloaded The Drummer Boy, book #2 of the Frank Littlefield series because I knew I'd want to see that, too. In fact, I plan to check out more of Nicholson's extensive list.

Disclosure: I paid to download this book for my Kindle. The author did not request a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment